- Research Fellow – Harvard Medical School Boston, United States
I am currently a Research Fellow of the Harvard Medical School at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and a Research Associate at MIT, working on glioblastoma treatment and novel targets for cancer immunotherapy, especially the STING pathway. Also involved in the development of brain-penetrating peptide and peptide-drug conjugates.
- Postdoctoral Fellow – Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, United States
2015-2017, Stephen J. Lippard Lab. Development and evaluation of novel anticancer metallodrugs. Nanodelivery of anticancer agents.
- Postdoctoral Associate – Université de Montréal Montreal, Canada
2014-2015, Stephen Hanessian Lab. Organic synthesis and bioorganic chemistry. Folding properties of modified prolines. Organocatalysis. Total synthesis.
- Ph.D. – Université Libre de Bruxelles Brussels, Belgium
2008-2013 Doctor of Philosophy, Pharmaceutical Sciences, December 2013. Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. PhD Thesis: “Synthesis of chiral vicinal diamines and in vitro anticancer properties of their platinum(II) coordinates”. Advisor: Prof. François Dufrasne (Head: Prof. Jean Nève)..
- M.Sc. – Université Libre de Bruxelles Brussels, Belgium
1999-2004, Master of Science, Pharmaceutical Sciences, with Grande Distinction, June 2005. Master Thesis: (Foreign exchange program, University of Hertfordshire, UK): « In vitro study of the activity of endothelins on isolated stomachs and colons of diabetic and healthy rats ». Advisors: Prof. Mike Parsons (University of Hertfordshire), Prof. Jeanine Fontaine (ULB).
Pfizer Inc. Nossegem, Belgium
Contract Operations and Quality Assurance Europe, 2007-2008
- Research Fellow of the Belgian Science Foundation (FRS-FNRS) 2018
- Young Investigator Award – Pharmaceutical Chemistry, UCB-Servier 2016
- Fulbright Scholar 2015
- BAEF and Hoover Foundation Fellow, 2015
- UCB-Pharma Award – Journées Franco-Belges de Pharmacochimie, Liège 2011
- Best scientific communication – PhD Day, Mons 2010
- Organic synthesis including asymmetric, anhydrous and air-free techniques. Multistep and complex planning, design and execution.
- NMR spectroscopy: 1D and 2D (COSY, HSQC, HMBC, NOESY) techniques for various nuclides (1H, 13C, 15N, 19F, 31P, 195Pt).
- FTIR, UV-Vis , HRMS, ICP-MS, LC-MS , HPLC.
- Quantum calculations on Unix-based clusters (Gaussian, ORCA, Q-Chem and others): Hartree-Fock, Möller-Plesset, Density Functional Theory, Coupled-Clusters.
- Molecular docking (Glide, AutoDock), molecular dynamics (NAMD, Desmond).
- Gel electrophoresis, cell culture, western blotting, cytotoxicity assays, flow cytometry.
GRANTS AND TRAVEL
- Invited Lecturer, University of Tabasco – Mexico, 2017
- Fulbright, 15 kUSD
- Belgian American Educational Foundation, 45 kUSD
- ULB Postdoctoral Fellowship, 200 kUSD
- FRS-FNRS Fellow, 200 kUSD
Université Libre de Bruxelles Brussels, Belgium
- Supervision of MSc and PhD theses 2010-current
- General and Pharmaceutical Chemistry B.Sc, M.Sc. 2008-2015
- Berger, G.; Vilchis-Reyes, M.; Hanessian, S. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 13268–13272.
- Chattopadhyay, A. K.; Ly, V. L.; Jakkepally, S.; Berger, G.; Hanessian, S. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 2577–2581.
- Vernekar A.; Berger G.; Czapar A.; Wang D.I.; Steinmetz N.; Lippard S. J. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, accepted manuscript.
- Chattopadhyay, A. K.; Berger, G.; Hanessian, S. J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 5074−5086.
- Berger, G. Comput. Theor. Chem. 2013, 1010, 11–18.
- Berger, G.; Grauwet, K.; Zhang, H.; Hussey, A. M.; Nowicki, M. O.; Wang, D. I.; Chiocca, E. A.; Lawler, S. E.; Lippard, S. J. Cancer Lett. 2018, 416 (2018), 138–148.
CONFERENCES ABSTRACTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy to Monitor the Cellular Impact of Newly Synthesized Platinum Derivatives”, Oral presentation, PhD Day – Mons, May 2010
- “Synthesis and In Vitro Anticancer Properties of Platinum Derivatives” Oral presentation, 25èmes Journées franco-belges de pharmacochimie – Liège, May 2011
- Vicinal Diamines through N-Activated Chiral Aziridines: Synthesis and Conceptual Density Functional Theory Study”, Poster, 13th Belgian Organic Synthesis Symposium – Leuven, July 2012
- “Regioselective Opening of N-Activated Aziridines: A Quantum Chemical Study”, Poster, Journée Scientifique de la Société Royale de Chimie – Louvain-La-Neuve, October 2012
- “Chiral Diamines through the Regioselective Opening of Nitrogen-Activated Aziridines: Synthesis and Quantum Chemical Study”, Oral presentation, PhD Day – Bruxelles (ULB), October 2012
- “Insight into the Structure-Activity Relationships of Platinum(II) Anticancer Coordinates”, Poster, PhD Day – Bruxelles (ULB), October 2012
- “Synthesis and in vitro characterization of anticancer platinum(II) coordinates: NCI Compare and FTIR spectroscopy for drug candidate profiling”, Poster, International Congress on Bioinorganic Chemistry – Grenoble, July 2013
- “4,5-Methanoprolines, bifunctional-catalyzed aldol reactions and the chemistry of benzodiazidodiazines: from the bench to the theory”, Oral presentation, Year-End Symposium (Hanessian Group), Université de Montréal – Montreal, November 2014.
- “Structural Properties of 4,5-Methanoprolines and their Oligomers: An Unprecedented Crystalline PPII-type Helical Tetramer”, Oral presentation, Tenth European Workshop in Drug Design – Certosa di Pontignano, Siena (Italy), May 2015
- “Bifunctional Cooperative Catalysis Toward Tertiary β-Ketols: A Theoretical Mechanistic Study”, Poster, Tenth European Workshop in Drug Design – Certosa di Pontignano, Siena (Italy), May 2015
- “Explorations of Metal-Based Anticancer Therapeutics”, Award Talk, Journées Franco-Belges de Pharmacochimie, Spa – Belgium, September 2017
- “Explorations of Metal-Based Anticancer Therapeutics”, Invited Lecture, University of Tabasco – Mexico, October 2017.
- “Explorations of Metal-Based Anticancer Therapeutics”, Group Seminar (H. Wennemers Lab), ETH Zürich, November 2017.
- Chemical Physics Letters
- European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
- Current Medicinal Chemistry
- Future Medicinal Chemistry
- ACS Inorganic Chemistry
- Journal of Molecular Structure
- Letters in Organic Chemistry
- Multidiscipline Modeling in Materials and Structures
- New Journal of Chemistry
- Member of the American Chemical Society
- Member of the Belgian Society of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry